This coconut curry chicken is easy, simple, and delicious with the use of staple ingredients in your pantry that you can use for other yummy curry recipes when meal planning. It is a rich, flavorful and filling dish that does not cost a lot to make.
I threw together this buttery, creamy curry chicken that has hints of coconut from the coconut milk. When I say I threw it together, I meant just that… I put a quick marinade together for the chicken, brown the marinated chicken, then I put together the quick sauce. Then, I let the thing simmer for a few.
And while my chicken simmers, I throw a salad in the mix along with some white rice (Jasmine Rice or Basmati Rice), & Naan Bread, and my meal is complete. Because that’s how we try to do it over here right?!?!?
We dip the Naan Bread in the sauce while we eat this delicious chicken. And then we use the rest of the Naan bread to wipe the bowl clean, because we don’t want to waste not one drop of this deliciousness!
And when it’s all said and done, if there are anymore leftovers, I get to take them to work for lunch. And everyone is stumbling over my lunch taking in the aromas from the curry and coconut. Everyone at work is like “eeeww, ahhhh, that smells wonderful, when you gonna bring us some”.
Well, per my husband, the answer is “NEVER” because it’s all his, and he doesn’t want share….. Seriously, he doesn’t… 🙂 But could you blame him??? 🙂
Savory Savings (Budget Friendly) Tip: You can use boneless skinless chicken thighs in place of the chicken breast to cut the cost. This not only cuts the costs for this meal but enhances the flavor of the dish as the chicken thighs are moist & flavorful due to their fat content.
- 3 large boneless skinless chicken breasts (diced - cut into small chunks, bite size pieces)
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- ½ tablespoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ cup diced tomatoes (I used canned diced tomatoes with the canned juice included in the half cup of tomatoes)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- ½ medium onion finely chopped (optional)
- 2 teaspoons red curry paste
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt to taste
- Mix all of the marinade ingredients together (except the chicken) in a plastic food storage container. Add the chicken to the marinade.
- Marinate the chicken overnight or for at least eight to ten hours in the refrigerator.
- When ready to cook the chicken, remove the chicken from the refrigerator and let it sit out for about 15 minutes before cooking. (If the chicken has come to almost room temperature it allows for even cooking and prevents overcooking of the chicken.)
- Heat olive oil in a large pan using medium high heat.
- Once the oil is heated, add the chicken to the heated oil.
- Cook the chicken browning each side of the chicken (about 2 minutes on both sides).
- Remove the chicken from the pan, add the 2 tablespoons of butter to the pan.
- Once the butter has melted, add the garlic and onion and cook for about 2 minutes or until the onions are soft.
- Next, add the coconut milk, tomatoes, curry paste, and 1 tablespoon butter, and mix well.
- Then, add the curry powder, coriander, and garlic powder. Mix well.
- Let the sauce cook for about 15 minutes on medium low.
- Add the chicken back to the pan. Stir together.
- Cook the mixture for about 10 to 15 minutes on low.
- Remove the mixture from the heat source and let the curry sit for about 5 minutes. Then serve.