Easy Beef Stroganoff, a popular dish among many……… Known as “fancy hamburger helper” around these parts……..
What makes this particular recipe easy for me to make after a long busy day is the fact that I don’t have to dredge sirloin steak pieces in flour, and then brown the steak, and blah, blah, blah. Mind you I do enjoy a good beef stroganoff with the sirloin or chuck beef pieces. But when I have had a long day, and there is still more to do, this recipe cuts my cooking time down drastically. Plus I still get the beef stroganoff dinner I was craving. And a box of processed goodness was never grabbed….. And all is well with the world……
And even though this recipe may seem as if it were taken down a notch by using ground beef, the robust flavors of the mustard and wine will knock your socks off. Take a look at the recipe below and hopefully you will get to enjoy my family’s “fancy hamburger helper – box not included”.
P.S. Here is some Budget Friendly information about this dish:
This meal cost me about $8 total (roughly)- about 1.33 per serving (6 servings). My noodles, I got on sale for 99cents. Instead of using sirloin beef- I went the cheaper route and used ground beef. The chicken broth was 50cents after using a coupon. I also used the phone app rebate for my mushrooms. Without coupons this still should only cost about $10 after tax…. That’s about $1.66 per serving, which is still cheaper than eating out…
- 1 pound ground beef
- ¾ cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- One 16 ounce container of mushrooms (sliced)
- 6 garlic cloves roughly chopped
- ¾ cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons deli mustard (preferably spicy deli mustard)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup sour cream
- Salt to taste
- 2 additional tablespoons dry white wine (optional)
- Parsley dried or fresh optional for garnish
- Brown the ground beef in a large sauce pan.
- While the ground beef is browning, add the cornstarch to the chicken broth, stir this chicken broth mixture well, and allow the cornstarch to dissolve.
- Also while waiting for the ground beef to brown, take this time to slice the mushrooms (if you have not already done so).
- After the ground beef has browned, drain the excess fat off the ground beef.
- Then add the chicken broth cornstarch mixture, mushrooms, garlic, ¾ cup of white wine, pepper, and deli mustard to the pan of cooked ground beef.
- Stir the mixture, cover the pan with a lid, and cook the mixture on medium low heat for 20 minutes.
- Occasionally stir the mixture throughout the 20 minute cooking time.
- After the mixture has cooked for 20 minutes, remove the pan from the heat, then add the sour cream and the remaining 2 tablespoons of white wine.
- Salt the stroganoff mixture to taste. Serve over eggs noodles or rice.
- Garnish with optional parsley.
Substitute the ground beef for ground turkey.