Easy Slow Cooker Charro Beans
Mexican restaurant quality Easy Slow Cooker Charro Beans made at home with little work to prepare.... You simply need to try this recipe yourself!
Servings 8 to 10 servings
- 1 pound of dry pinto beans
- 1 smoked ham hock or two smoked neck bones
- 8 ounces of chorizo sausage (the type that comes in sausage form, not the ground chorizo)
- 1 to 2 jalapeños diced , (optional)
- 1 onion quartered
- 2 tomatoes quartered
- 4 garlic cloves roughly chopped
- 1 whole green pepper roughly chopped
- 1 whole red pepper roughly chopped
- ¼ teaspoon of black pepper
- 5 cups of chicken broth
- 1 twelve ounce bottle of dark beer
- 2 sprigs of cilantro chopped
- Salt to taste
Rinse the pinto beans with water.
Remove any ugly beans, stone pieces, or dirt pieces from the pintos.
Soak the beans in a covered dish of water in the refrigerator overnight.
Drain the water off of the pinto beans.
Put all of the ingredients (except the beer and salt) into the slow cooker.
Gently stir the ingredients together.
Cook the bean mixture for 7 hours.
Then, add the beer and the chopped cilantro to the slow cooker.
Salt the beans to taste.
Cook for another hour.
- Replace the smoked pork meat in this dish with smoked turkey wings and/or legs. Also use homemade chicken broth if you can for a more healthy dish. It's just as tasty!
- Chop some additional cilantro to garnish each serving. It makes the beans that more good! P.S. I have put a whole jalapeno in this dish and this is a very mild heat level. Two jalapenos will give you more heat......
- I have heard you can soak your beans for about 2 hours in water with a couple tablespoons of baking soda to speed up the process of removing the gas chemicals…… Try it out and let me know how it worked….
Calories: 209kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 38mg | Sodium: 1000mg | Potassium: 581mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 972IU | Vitamin C: 55mg | Calcium: 54mg | Iron: 2mg