– large boneless chicken breast – salt – pepper – egg – cornstarch – all purpose flour – salt – pepper – orange juice – water – rice vinegar – dry sherry – white vinegar – brown sugar – soy sauce – cornstarch – sesame oil – sesame oil – garlic pressed or finely chopped – crushed red pepper – fresh orange zest – peanut oil or veggie oil – thinly sliced green onion – sesame Seeds (optional)
– Place peanut oil or vegetable oil in deep fryer. Let the oil get hot. – Cut chicken into small chunks. Salt and pepper the chicken. – Mix the egg and cornstarch together in a large bowl, then add the chicken to the egg mixture. Mix the mixture well, and let sit for a bit.
– While chicken sits, mix together the breading ingredients in a large bowl. – Dredge the chicken in the floor mixture. Set aside and make the sauce. – To make the sauce, mix all of the liquid ingredients (excluding the sesame oil) and cornstarch together in a medium bowl. Set aside.
– In a wok, add the sesame oil. Heat the oil until its hot. – Add the garlic, red pepper, and orange zest to the wok. Cook. – Next add the liquid ingredients to the wok, stir, and cook. Set sauce aside. – Add the chicken (in small batches) to the deep fryer. Cook. When done, place on a cooling rack to drain away grease. Repeat until all the chicken is cooked.
– Toss the chicken in the orange sauce, and serve immediately.