– 1 pound of dry pinto beans – 1 smoked ham hock or two smoked neck bones – 8 ounces of chorizo sausage (the type that comes in sausage form, not the ground chorizo) or smoked sausage – 1 to 2 jalapeños diced , (optional) – 1 onion quartered – 2 tomatoes quartered – 4 garlic cloves roughly chopped – 1 whole green pepper roughly chopped – 1 whole red pepper roughly chopped – ¼ teaspoon of black pepper – 5 cups of chicken broth – 1 twelve ounce bottle of dark beer – 2 sprigs of cilantro chopped – ½ tablespoon garlic powder – ½ tablespoon onion powder – salt to taste
– Rinse the pinto beans with water. – Remove any stone pieces or dirt pieces from the pintos. – Soak the pintos in a covered dish of water in the refrigerator overnight.
– Drain the water off. – Put all of the ingredients (except the beer and salt) into the slow cooker. – Gently stir the ingredients together.
– Cook the pinto mixture for 7 hours in slow cooker using low heat. – Then, add the beer and the ½ cup of chopped cilantro to the slow cooker. – Salt the pinto mixture to taste.
– Cook for another hour. – Garnish with the cooked pinto mixture with the remaining cilantro. Then serve.