This Homemade Hot Dog Chili is super easy to make. You can make this simple recipe it in less than 25 minutes. We don’t use any store-bought packets for this recipe allowing you to control the ingredients that goes into this recipe. This is a delicious hotdog topper making your chili dogs so delicious!
Why This Recipe Works
This recipe is so easy to make. It doesn’t take that long at all to make this recipe. Prep time takes only a few minutes to make this. We are not using store bought seasoning mixes, which allows you to adjust the flavor and seasonings to your liking.
What Goes Into This Recipe
This recipe is made with tomato sauce, ground beef and spices you would you use in a traditional chili bean recipe.
How to Make This Recipe
1. In a medium sauce pan add your ground beef. Brown the ground beef using medium heat on a stove top.
2. Once the ground beef is cooked through, drain the grease from the cooked beef.
3. Add the tomato sauce, broth, and spices, to the pot of cooked ground beef. Stir until well blended. Salt and pepper the mixture to taste.
4. Cook on medium low heat for about 15 minutes.
Expert Tips & FAQs
For a more “saucy” recipe
Add a little more tomato paste or tomato sauce and chicken broth. Then adjust seasonings to taste after adding more broth, and tomato paste.
Do not over salt
To make it’s not too salty, add with caution as most hotdogs are already slightly salty.
Use ground turkey as a healthier alternative to ground beef. Use low sodium chicken broth as a healthier alternative to decrease the salt in this recipe.
This is recipe has a chunkier consistency because we don’t mash the beef during the cooking process, but we have some tips below if you would like a finer texture diner style recipe.
Best meat to use
Ground beef is the best meat to use for this recipe. It’s inexpensive and ground beef can stand longer cooking periods, so when keeping it warm in a warmer of some type, the ground beef will not become tough.
How Can I Achieve a Finer Beef Texture?
Add the liquid together with the beef in the pot and use a fork to mash it. Do this until you achieve a really fine texture and until the meat is almost completely browned.
Finally, use your cooking utensil such as a spatula and use it as you would normally to finish cooking the recipe with the remaining instructions in the recipe below.
Can I Make This in Advance?
Your homemade hot dog chili can be refrigerated for up to 3 or 4 days.
Can I Freeze This?
You can make this ahead of time and place in the freezer until ready to use. Place in a freezer friendly container and then freeze. When ready to use, thaw out it the in the refrigerator overnight. And then reheat in a sauce pan on medium low heat until heated through.
What Additional Toppings Go Well with These?
There are so many toppings to choose from. These are the toppings in my opinion, but you can really come up with whatever you like because the possibilities are endless! Here are some ideas for some inspiration:
- Cheddar cheese.
- Onions, jalapeños.
- Coleslaw, ketchup, mustard.
Melissa’s Southern Style Kitchen has a great hot dog chili recipe, too.
♥♥♥ Did you make this recipe? If so, please rate this recipe and leave a comment below to let me know if you enjoyed it. And follow me on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for more delicious inspiration! ♥♥♥
Homemade Hot Dog Chili
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup tomato sauce or tomato puree
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon Spanish paprika
- 1 ½ tablespoons cumin
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- In a medium sauce pan add your ground beef. Brown the ground beef using medium heat on a stove top.
- While the ground beef is browning, mix the seasoning (excluding the salt and pepper), chicken broth, and tomato puree in a bowl. Set aside.
- Once the ground beef is cooked through, drain the grease from the cooked beef.
- Add the bowl of tomato sauce, broth, and spices, to the pot of cooked ground beef. Stir until well blended. Salt and pepper the chili mixture to taste.
- Cook the chili on medium low heat for about 15 minutes.
- Serve on your favorite hotdogs.
Cooking TipsChunkier Consistency: This is recipe has a chunkier consistency, but we have some tips below if you would like a finer texture diner style recipe. For a more “saucy” recipe: Add a little more tomato paste or tomato sauce and chicken broth. Then adjust seasonings to taste after adding more broth, and tomato paste. Do not over salt: To make it’s not too salty, add with caution as most hotdogs are already slightly salty.
Please note that I am not a nutritionist, and the nutritional information is an estimate only. It varies based on the products and brands used.