These Jerk Chicken Legs are great for grilling with easy prep and cooking methods. You can even make these in the oven all year long!
I’m sitting here thinking about how much fun we had at work this past weekend. We had many busy moments, but we still were able to get a good laugh in here and there. I think I laughed so much, I was crying one time…
As time has gone by, it has been easier to go to my place of work because of my great team. Even though it’s hard work as nurses on our hospital floor, our teamwork keeps us from leaving. We all enjoy each other’s company which makes a world of difference. We even wait for everyone to get done before we clock out and walk out together – most of the time…. Unless we have just had it that day and need to run away!
Back to the star of the show…. The real reason why you’re here….
Public Service Announcement – We eat a lot of chicken because we try to cut back on how much red meat and pork we consume. And using chicken legs and thighs is a great budget friendly meal option – meaning light on the wallet.
Ok – This is another grilling sensation friends. And it gives you that island feel you so deserve, making you believe you’re on vacation right in your back yard…
Don’t worry – if you don’t have a grill or even feel like prepping the grill, you can make these chicken legs in the oven. Which is how I cook them most of the time.
I put these flavors together for the ultimate jerk chicken flavor. I took the traditional jerk seasoning ingredients, toasted the spices to enhance the flavor, and made a great marinade for some chicken legs. Then, I dry roasted them in the oven. And when I feel like it, I throw them on the grill while I kick back with a cold one. I have also used this with chicken thighs and dry roasted them, giving the thighs a crunchy outside while the chicken was moist and tender on the inside. They were pretty good…
Menu Planning Tip:
Pair these with a good beans and rice side dish to complete your island themed meal.
Enjoying These Easy Jerk Chicken Legs? Try These, Too:
- Apricot and Ginger Glazed Chicken Skewers
- Za’atar Seasoned Chicken
- Apple Juice Brined and Carolina BBQ Style Chicken Legs
- Tandoori Inspired Roasted Chicken Legs
- Coconut Curry Chicken
Easy Jerk Chicken Legs
- 8 chicken legs (scored)
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons ground Allspice Jamaican Berries
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- Salt the chicken legs set aside.
- Optional - Next toast the marinade seasonings. Place all of the seasonings (except for the brown sugar) into a pan. Cook the seasoning on medium low heat for about 1 to 2 minutes. Make sure to stir the spices while they cook.
- Next, pour the toasted season mixture and brown sugar over the chicken legs. Make sure that each piece of chicken is completely covered with the marinade.
- Let the chicken marinade at least 4 hours in the refrigerator. (I marinate my chicken overnight for more flavor.)
- When ready to cook the chicken, remove chicken from refrigerator and let the chicken come to room temperature slightly while you preheat the oven.
- Preheat oven at 415 degrees.
- Line a baking pan with foil. Then, place a baking cooling rack on top of this pan. Spray the rack with baking spray.
- Place the chicken legs on the rack.
- Cook the chicken legs for about 45 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees. Make sure to flip the chicken half way through the cooking time.
Please note that I am not a nutritionist, and the nutritional information is an estimate only. It varies based on the products and brands used.