Easy Slow Cooker Kalua Pig is so easy to make and takes you to Hawaii every time you make it! Aloha! Learn my tips to help get a taste similar to the smoked shredded kalua pig!
Slow Cooker Kalua Pig
Brief history on what this dish even is….. Kalua pig is Hawaiian style shredded pork. In Hawaii the whole pig is roasted underground in an underground smoker grill of sorts called an imu……
Ok so you don’t have an imu, you don’t have that ticket to make to Hawaii for your dream vacation just yet, or you’re reminiscing like me about your time in Hawaii….. Here is the slow cooker version that is damn near close to the real deal.
When I lived in Hawaii I made this many times in my slow cooker with many of my local Hawaiian friends psyched out at how it tasted like the real thing!
Versatile & Great for Busy Nights
This is another easy go to meal guys and gals for those busy work nights. It is a very versatile dish that allows you to make large amounts to incorporate into other dishes.
One night you can have a Hawaiian style meal, the next night you can make tacos, and my personal favorite is Kalua pig quesadillas (more info to come on home to make these meals out of this dish to stretch your dollar).
Slow Cooker Version
This slow cooker version is juicy, tender, and has that hint of smoky flavor like it’s really been smoked underground with no one overworked trying to build that imu. Enough talking… Let’s get to it and slow cook this bad boy in the slow cooker for our next Lau party or Hawaiian themed dinner night!
Easy Slow Cooker Kalua Pig Recipe
Grab yourself some liquid smoke and Hawaiian Red Salt…. You can order the Hawaiian Red Salt online if you don’t have a specialty store near you with island favorites…
Now throw your butt in the slow cooker…. Haha I feel like I just came up with a song verse…..
Make sure you salt that butt like this. Then let it cook low and slow for a few hours.
Finally, shred it!
Enjoying this Hawaiian slow cooker kalua pig recipe? You will love these, too:
- Mango Cheesecake with Macadamia Nut Crust
- Hawaii Garlic Shrimp
- Kalua Pig Pulled Pork Quesadillas
- Hawaiian Island Style Fried Rice
Made this recipe?
Easy Slow Cooker Kalua Pig
- Red Hawaiian Sea Salt
- ¼ cup liquid smoke
- 2 and ½ tablespoons liquid smoke
- 3 pounds pork butt
- Place your pork butt into your slow cooker.
- Use a knife or fork to poke holes throughout the pork butt meat.
- Pour the ¼ cup of liquid smoke over the pork butt meat.
- Sprinkle the Hawaiian red salt on each side of the pork butt.
- Cook for the meat on low in the slow cooker for about 8 to 9 hours.
- Remove the cooked meat from the slow cooker and lightly shred the meat with a fork making sure to remove the fat pieces.
- Don’t forget to reserve about ¼ to ½ cup of the juices from the slow cooker.
- Then, add the other 2 and ½ tablespoons of liquid smoke to the shredded meat.
- Add the reserved juices to the meat as well.
- Then lightly toss the meat to get all those flavors mixed together.
Please note that I am not a nutritionist, and the nutritional information is an estimate only. It varies based on the products and brands used.