This Chipotle Chicken and White Queso Cheese Sauce is actually easy to make. And to top that off, there’s tons of flavor with this one.
Wow! It’s been a long time! But if you follow me on social media, you have seen that I am still here! Even though I don’t get to pump out tons of recipes like many other food bloggers, I am still behind my camera learning how to take beautiful photos. You can see my photography journey on Instagram or Facebook.
If you have noticed, I am slowly but surely updated pictures here on my website as I learn more about photography. While I am extremely busy with school (I will be so happy when I graduate), my goal is to update recipes and photos I have already shared to make my website beautiful! And when time permits, I will share a new recipe!
As I mentioned before, school is getting the best of me as I move into my upper level classes (which are more difficult). On top of that, my school changed the curriculum as of January 1, 2018, meaning that we have to adjust to a new work load, and study habits. I know it will be okay…. I just have to get my work strategies together.
Enough about me and my shenanigans, I’ll get straight to the details of this recipe. A few weeks ago, I had a taste for white queso dip. This craving made my imagination go wild, and I was in here making Chipotle Chicken Bowls. I didn’t know how the cheese sauce would turn out, so I have to admit that I bought one of those processed cheese blocks as a back up… But there was no need for it…. We handled it – this cheese sauce…
I got a little lazy and didn’t feel like making homemade Mexican Rice, so I purchased a side order of rice from my local Mexican Restaurant. But if you want something homemade, you can get my Mexican Rice Recipe HERE. You can add whatever vegetables you want to your bowl, if you decide to make this into a bowl like I did. Just use your imagination. The vegetables and garnishes you see here in the picture came to be, because that’s what I had in the refrigerator. Plus I was over going to the store that week.. 🙂
Let me know how you like it! xo
Chipotle Chicken with White Queso Cheese Sauce
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle chili pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 1 and 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 12 slices white american cheese
- 1 can Rotel or diced tomatoes with chilies
- Season both sides of the chicken breasts well with salt in pepper.Mix together the smoked paprika, chipotle powder, chili powder, oregano, and garlic powder. Rub both sides of the chicken pieces with the spice mixture. Set the chicken aside, and let the chicken sit for at least 15 to 20 minutes while you prep the rest of you meal. (this allows the chicken to marinate, and promote even cooking as the chicken comes to a slight room temperature). To make the queso sauce, add the butter to a medium saucepan. Heat the pan using medium heat to melt the butter.After the butter melts, mix the flour inton the melted butter, ensuring the flour is mixed well with the butter. Turn the heat to medium low. Let the flour and butter mixture cook for about three to four minutes. Next add the heavy cream to the saucepan, mix the sauce together well, and cook the mixture for about 5 minutes on medium heat. Now it's time to add the cheese. Break the cheese slices into smaller pieces, and add the cheese to the cream mixture. Turn the heat down to medium low heat, and allow the cheese sauce mixture to cook for five to 7 minutes, or until cheese has melted.Then, add the can of diced tomatoes to the cheese sauce, mix well. Season cheese sauce with salt and pepper to taste. Let the cheese sauce cook for another three to five minutes or until the sauce heats through.To cook the chicken pieces, add a few drizzles of oil to a pan. Heat the oil using medium high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the chicken to the pan. Cook the for about eight to ten minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Make sure to flip chicken halfway through during the cooking time. Let the chicken rest for a few minutes to ensure the chicken stays juicy. Top the chicken with the warm cheese sauce and serve with your favorite garnishes and a side of Mexican rice.
Please note that I am not a nutritionist, and the nutritional information is an estimate only. It varies based on the products and brands used.