Too many potlucks and not enough easy recipes??? Or are you a crazy coupon lady like me that has a stockpile of cake mixes that you got for an awesome price??? Have no fear my easy banana bread cake is here!!!
This recipe turns those box cake mixes into a sweet delicious masterpiece, fooling everyone into thinking you worked hard to make this homemade treat! This is my go to “dump and mix” recipe when I have a taste for banana bread, but I don’t feel like measuring out too many ingredients. Follow the easy steps below and let me know what you think…..
Get yourself some overripe bananas…..
If you don’t have any overripe bananas, here is an easy tip to ripen those yellow bananas…… Set your oven at about 300 degrees, place you yellow bananas on a pan, and bake for about 40 to 45 minutes.
Then, you end up with the proper overripe bananas that you need to make banana breads. (Make sure to let the bananas sit for about 30 minutes after they bake, before you use them.) Thanks to Jillee at One Good Thing By Jillee for this awesome tip!
Your bananas should be very soft if you used the oven to “ripen” the bananas. If not, use a masher or fork to mash the bananas to a baby food consistency.
Then, fold the bananas into the cake batter, pour the batter into your loaf bread pan, bake, and then….
You have easy banana bread cake that taste so homemade…….
Budget Friendly Information: This cake only cost me a few dollars to make. I got the cake mix for 50cents after using a coupon. The vanilla flavoring was cheaper after coupon use as well (about $1 for pure vanilla extract). I received a rebate for my bananas, eggs, and milk from a phone rebate app. Stay tuned for more savings information in the Savory Savings section of the site that can help you too!
- ½ cup walnuts (optional)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup oil or 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 box of yellow cake mix
- 3 ripe bananas mashed
- Confectioner’s sugar (optional for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Spray loaf pan with baking spray, then line baking pan with parchment paper.
- Roughly chop walnuts.
- In blender or mixing bowl add the eggs, milk, and oil, and blend these three ingredients on medium speed for about 1 minute.
- Then, add the vanilla, ground cinnamon, and cake mix to the mixing bowl.
- Blend on medium speed until well blended for about 2 minutes.
- Gently fold in mashed bananas and chopped walnuts.
- Pour the batter into the greased loaf pan.
- Depending on your oven temperature, bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the middle of the bread loaf (All ovens are not created equal. Friendly tip - I usually start checking my bread at 50 minutes, and with my oven it usually takes about 1 hour and 10 minutes to completely bake.).
- Remove the pan from the oven.
- Let the bread loaf cool completely in the pan on a baking rack, and then remove bread from loaf pan.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar on top of loaf immediately before serving.
- Store the cooked bread loaf in the refrigerator and warm before serving to get that fresh out the oven taste.
Increase the amount of ground cinnamon from ½ teaspoon to 1 teaspoon to create a banana spice cake. Presentation Tips:
Use a sifter to lightly sprinkle confectioner sugar on top of the bread loaf for a beautiful presentation.
Please note that I am not a nutritionist, and the nutritional information is an estimate only. It varies based on the products and brands used.