A scoop of this and a scoop of that makes this Hearty Vegetable and Sausage Soup an easy, simple, and yet satisfying meal.
This simple soup was something my Papa put together many times in the slow cooker. And many times, I would eat it. Depending on how we feel, we put it in the slow cooker too. But this recipe I am sharing, gives you ca play by paly for a stove top cooking method.
My grand daddy passed away a few years ago, and this soup is something that my siblings and I always reminisce about. My sister always calls me saying “what do I put in Papa Scott’s soup”. I told that girl that if she wanted this vegetable and sausage soup recipe, then she’s gonna have to come to my website from here on out…. Seriously I wouldn’t care if she called me a million times to ask me the ingredients… I would still give her the directions a million times over. I love that girl!
There’s a need for this soup in my home, in our homes… It brings warmth, and comfort to us now a days as we go through the daily ups and downs…. Sometimes it’s just the memories that make this soup so special….
- 1 pound chicken, pork, or turkey sausage
- 6 garlic pressed or finely chopped
- 1 14.5 ounce can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 3 teaspoons onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon season salt
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 ounces frozen white corn kernels
- 3 cups frozen cut okra
- Brown sausage in large pot on medium heat. After the sausage has fully cooked, drain the sausage. Add the garlic to the pan, let sausage and garlic cook for about a minute.Then, add the chicken roasted tomatoes, bay leaves, chicken stock, white pepper, onion powder, and season salt to the pot. Stir until ingredients are combined.Cover the pot with a lid, let the soup cook on medium low for about 20 minutes. Now add the corn and okra. Let the soup cook for about 5 to 7 minutes or until the corn and okra have heated through. Salt and pepper the soup to taste.